Here’s How Your Extra Weight Affects Your Brain Size
On both MRI and psychoneurological testing, researchers found that individuals with a high body mass index showed a decrease in gray matter in the brain, as well as a reduction in neuronal fiber bundle length. These changes are associated with a higher risk of memory loss and dementia in later years.
What You Can Do To Lower Your BMI
Lowering your BMI measurement generally means losing overall weight. You can accomplish this goal more easily if you examine your eating habits carefully and make the changes that will allow you to lose weight while still maintaining good nutrition.
Some tips for losing weight in a healthy manner include:
· Eating more fruits and vegetables.
· Eliminating processed foods.
· Reduce the amount of red meat consumed in favor of white meats, fish, beans, nuts, and eggs.
· Consume low-fat dairy products
· Reduce the amount of saturated and trans fats in your diet, as well as consume less sugar and salt
· Eat smaller portions
· Begin a regular exercise program, such as workouts at the gym, walking, running, bicycling, dancing, tennis or other activities.
Lowering your body mass index will help to ensure that you are doing all you can to promote good health and avoid the risk of both medical problems and cognitive decline.