WHAT ARE THE WHITE DOTS ON MY NAILS? LEUKONYCHIA
[Last Updated on March 1st 2014]
What is it?
It’s the occurrence of white spots or patches under the nails, due to the presence of air bubbles between the nail and its bed. It is usually caused by:
– an injury to the base of the nail
– renal failure
– fungal infection
– organ failure
– vitamin deficiency and stress
– lack of zinc and protein
– White spots on the fingernail: small white lines on the nails and change in color of the nails, that eventually become totally white.
– The nails become colorless and brittle losing the original texture.
– Person affected with leukonychia may also have problems like deafness, gingivitis, and hyperkeratosis
Natural treatment :
– Include Proteins, vitamins and a lot of zinc in your diet: oysters, grass-fed beef, crab,lobster, cashews,almonds,chickpeas,peas,oats,kidney beans,eggs,milk,pupkin seeds and spinach are excellent sources of zinc in your diet.
– avoid changing your nail polish too often
1. Leukonychia totalis
– Whitening of the entire nail.
– Maybe caused by organ failure, protein malabsorption or a genetic condition.
2. Leukonychia partialis
– Whitening of parts of the nail.
3. Leukonychia striata
– Whitening or discoloration of the nail in bands that run parallel the nail
– It may be caused by cirrhosis, chemotherapy or physical injury to the nail
4. Leukonychia punctata
– Small white spots appear on the nails and it’s the most common form of leukonychia.
– Cause is injury to the base of the nail.