How To Make Your Own Aloe Vera Gel
By PositiveMed team
Edited By Stephanie Dawson
Aloe vera has many beneficial uses and is considered good for your skin. It’s a great herbal medicine and has been used for ages to treat skin conditions. The gel extracted from its leaves can be used for burns, wounds, and glowing skin. We often find chemical-based products in the store and it’s not always safe to rely on them. Here is how to make your own fresh chemical-free aloe vera gel at home:
Project time: approximately 1 hour
1. Aloe vera pulp – ¼ cup
2. Coconut oil – 1 tablespoon
3. Vitamin E oil – ¼ teaspoon (Optional)
4. Citric acid – 1/8 teaspoon (Optional)
5. Food processor
6. Clean container with lid
7. Work gloves (Optional)
8. Paper towels
11. Measuring cup or container to hold pulp
1. Scoop out the aloe vera pulp from the leaves of an aloe vera plant. For ¼ cup of pulp you’ll need 4–6 leaves 4–6 inches long. Put on your work gloves and cut the leaves from the area closest to the ground or plant’s base. Immature plants will not have leaves growing close to the ground. If you can easily snap off the leaves it shows your plant is healthy.
2. After cutting the leaves, place them upright in a container in a tilted position. Leave in that position for 10-12 minutes so that the sap can drain from the leaves.
3. Wash your hands, it’s important to maintain hygiene. Clean the leaves using paper towels. Keep the leaves on a flat surface and cut off the tips. You can use a vegetable peeler to peel off the sharp spines on the edges. It’s important to cut the leaves from top to bottom.
4. Slice the leaves lengthwise from the inside. Use your spoon or scoop to pull off the pulp from the leaves. Don’t use a knife for this purpose. Keep the pulp in a container.
5 Add coconut oil, vitamin E, and citric acid to pulp and grind together for about 1 minute. If you are allergic to citric acid don’t use it (it may cause skin rashes). The oils will help preserve the final product. Citric acid is used to avoid discoloration.
6. Once its blended place it a clean container and store in your refrigerator. This gel can last for several months if kept in a cool place. If you notice foam on the top it will settle eventually.
Your gel is now ready to use as desired.