Follow These 10 Rules For A Happy Second Marriage
When your first marriage ended badly, it might take a while for you to be comfortable jumping into a second marriage. What makes you think this one will go any better? Once you’ve taken the plunge, however, you’ll quickly discover that your second marriage can be much better than your first one. If you’re struggling to set your second marriage on the right track, however, there are a few simple principles that will help you along the way.
1. Know what went wrong last time. You probably have a pretty good idea of where things fell apart in your first marriage and you can’t put all the blame on your former spouse. Look for the things you could have done better, too, and then put those things into practice with your new marriage.
2. Don’t try to change your spouse. As you probably already learned the first time around, people aren’t going to change just because you’ve married them. This time, don’t try! Enjoy and love your spouse as they are rather than trying to change them into someone they never wanted to be.
3. Stand united. You may already have children coming into your second marriage. Your spouse may have them, too. Combining your families is a challenge which makes it more important than ever before that you stand together. A united front will keep your household running much more smoothly.
4. Communicate. What one of the first places marriages break down is over communication. When you talk regularly about all the important things, from major events in your lives to finances, to child rearing, you’ll discover that your marriage runs much smoother.
5. Learn how to solve problems. Strong relationships aren’t built by couples who never disagree. Instead, they’re solved by people who know how to work as a team to find solutions. Develop your conflict resolution skills and find ways to work it out together instead of giving up on each other.