See How These 9 Morning Tricks Can Change Your Metabolism in Less Than 40 Minutes!
Metabolism is the miraculous process of converting food into energy. Metabolic rate is the speed at which your body burns calories. With a healthy metabolism, your body efficiently:
- digests food
- uses glucose
- circulates blood
- generates energy
- wards off infection
When your metabolism is on par with your weight, you look healthy and feel great. If you’re 10 or more pounds overweight, your body needs some nudging. This is the advice of celebrity nutritionist Haylie Pomroy. As an authority on metabolism, body fat, and the power of healthy food, she writes for several US magazines. She’s also a recurring guest on the Dr. Oz Show. Ms. Pomroy states that metabolic health is affected by genes, lifestyle, diet, and stress. Below are easy ways to jump-start your metabolism and kick off your day.
1. Awaken 30 Minutes Earlier
By getting up earlier, you’ll have plenty of time for breakfast. Fueling your body well is key to stoking the metabolic fire. Rising with the birds will also make you chipper. Research proves that early risers have brighter moods than late sleepers. The journal Emotion reports a 2012 study of morning people. They were found to be cheerier than those who delayed starting the day.
If greeting the sun sooner sounds unappealing, here are some suggestions:
- Transition slowly. Wake up 15 minutes earlier and let your body acclimate for one week. Then turn the alarm back 15 more minutes.
- Go to bed 30 minutes earlier. Even if you think you won’t fall sleep, you can rest quietly. This will help summon the sleep fairy.
- Place your alarm clock far from your bed. If it’s close by, you’ll be tempted to hit “Snooze” or “Off.” If you have to get out of bed to silence the alarm, you’re less apt to crawl back under the covers. To further nix the temptation, leave your bedroom right after tending to the clock.
Next, head to the kitchen for a cup of refreshing lemon water. Pour a glass of room temperature water. Slice a lemon in two, and squeeze one half into the glass. Stir and enjoy. This simple start to your day speeds your metabolism in several ways:
- Lemon helps the liver eliminate waste. When the liver is loaded with toxins, it doesn’t efficiently process fat. Lemon speeds the rate at which your body uses lipids.
- Lemon is a potent source of vitamins and minerals. Vitamin C is antibacterial, protects cells from damage, and supports your immune system. Half a lemon provides 20 percent of your daily requirement of Vitamin C. Lemon’s B Vitamins spur energy, tissue repair, growth, and development. The minerals calcium, magnesium, and phosphorus build strong teeth and bones. As electrolytes, they supply energy.
- Water also revs metabolism. A 2003 study reported in the Journal of Endocrinology and Metabolism found that metabolic rate increases by 30 percent after drinking water. The energizing effect lingers for 40 minutes.
3. Use a Rebounder
RELATED ARTICLE: Four Habits To Keep Your Metabolism Going
A rebounder is a mini trampoline. Using one is considered by NASA as “the most efficient form of exercise devised by man.” Rebounding involves bouncing with shallow, controlled movement. As a zero-impact form of exercise, it’s kind to your joints. You only need five minutes on a rebounder to reap its benefits:
- improved circulation
- lowered cholesterol
- diminished stress
- toned muscles
- elevated energy
- bolstered immunity
- increased lung and cardiac capacity
- cleansed lymphatic system
The lymphatic system is a coalition of tissues and organs that rids your body of toxins and wastes.
A quality rebounder has a stable, five-leg design. Four leg models are not secure since they can topple. Removable legs enable easy storage. A solid spring system is necessary to support joints. A non-slip mat beneath the trampoline provides additional safety.
According to the August 2015 report by Best Reviews, the rebounder with the best value is the Pure Fun 9002MT 38-inch Mini Trampoline. It has a padded steel frame and five legs. Rubberized leg tips make it stable on both carpet and wood floors. The Pure Fun assembles easily, without the need for special tools. Retailing for $40, it yields the “Best Bang For Your Buck,” per Best Reviews.
4. Lift Weights
Muscle helps burn calories and fat. The more muscle you have, the more fat you’ll melt.
Lifting weights is one means to build muscle. It fires up metabolism in three ways:
- during your workout
- for the following 1-2 days
- while at rest
Morning is an opportune time to strength train. It shifts your body into high gear from the get-go. Choosing the correct amount of weight is crucial. The proper weight will challenge your muscles without strain. Here is a guide to help you decide on the ideal weight.
Choose a weight by which you can do 8-12 repetitions of an exercise to fatigue, without pain. You’ll need to experiment with trying different weights. The proper amount varies by exercise. You may be able to lift a heavier weight doing biceps curls versus triceps extensions. For this reason, it’s preferable to have three sets of dumbbells at home – light, medium, and heavier. You can go to a sporting goods store and cautiously test the various weights. If you’re a woman, you might try lifting weights of 2, 5, and 7 pounds. A man can do a trial with 5, 10, and 15 pounds.
Once you have the right dumbbells, you can begin exercising. To achieve maximal results:
- Move slowly and in a controlled manner.
- Focus on proper form.
- Count reps, aiming for 8-12. Stop at the point of fatigue. Once you can do 15 reps easily, it’s time to increase the weight.
Eddie Yates, professional personal trainer, has designed a five-minute workout you can do at home. A few exercises involve the use of a weight bench. Don’t be concerned if you don’t have one. There are enough exercises on the video to give you a productive session without this equipment.
If you want to invest in a weight bench, a highly-rated brand is the Bowflex SelectTech Adjustable 3.1 Series Bench 140004. It retails for $159.99 at Target. To order, click here.
5. Perform Five Tibetan Rites
This is an exercise program designed by Tibetan monks to promote a healthy life. Blessings include improved vitality, strength, and endurance. The movements stimulate the endocrine system. This is a partnership of glands that regulate metabolism, growth, and development.
The exercises are a highly advanced form of yoga. To execute them safely, you must have considerable flexibility and strength.
If you would like to try the Five Tibetan Rites, following are some suggestions for easing into the routine:
1. For the first week, choose one exercise from Rites 1-3, and do it daily.
2. If you are overweight, skip Rites 4 and 5 until you have adequate strength and endurance. To gear up for these Rites, you can do substitute exercises. A link to these is provided below.
3. Stay within your comfort zone. Do not sustain any movement that feels stressful.
4. For the second week, perform two reps of each feasible exercise. At week three, progress to three reps. Continue increasing the reps as tolerated, aiming for a total of 21 reps for each exercise.
5. If you’re physically able to do all the exercises but are short on time, perform three reps of each exercise. This will take less than five minutes.
6. The Rites may trigger detoxification and associated unpleasant symptoms. This is why you should increase reps gradually.
7. If you haven’t exercised for quite some time, begin preparing for the Five Rites with a walking program. If possible, walk for 30 minutes daily.
SPECIAL CAUTION: Spinning and stretching can worsen certain medical conditions, such as heart disease, multiple sclerosis, Parkinson’s disease, high blood pressure, hyperthyroidism, and vertigo. Consult your physician prior to starting these exercises if you have any medical conditions.
6. Have aPower Breakfast
After a night of sleep, your body is in a fasting state. If you omit breakfast, your body conserves calories. This is counterproductive to your goal. Eating a healthy breakfast speeds metabolic rate. Studies show that 80 percent of people who successfully lose weight begin their day with breakfast. Research also reveals that children who eat breakfast have longer attention spans and better test performance than those who skip a morning meal.
Lean protein is the basis of a metabolism-boosting breakfast. Examples are eggs, low-fat yogurt, ricotta cheese, tofu, and whey. Complement the protein with complex carbohydrates and fruit. Ideal fruit options are apples, blueberries, grapefruit, oranges, and strawberries. Complex carbs can take the form of whole grain toast, oats, or cereal. Add some engine-revving fat, such as two tablespoons of walnuts or almonds. Now your body will be humming steadily!
7. Drink Green Tea
Green tea contains the plant compound ECGC, which spurs fat burn. It also inhibits fat absorption. Green tea stabilizes blood sugar and reduces appetite. A study published in the American Journal of Clinical Nutrition reports that green tea increases metabolism by 4 percent over a 24-hour period. This may not sound significant, but let’s crunch some numbers. If you drink three cups a day, you’ll burn an extra 70 calories. This will torch seven pounds in one year, 35 pounds in five years, and 70 pounds in 10 years.
8. Pack a Snack
Practice the Girl Scout motto and “Be prepared.” Your body is likely to be asking for a mini-meal between lunch and dinner. It’s wise to pack a snack. The ideal nosh will burn calories, provide sustained energy, and hike metabolism. You also need food that will keep you full. Susan Bowerman, nutritionist at the UCLA Center for Human Nutrition, recommends nibbles with protein and fiber. Protein builds muscle. Fiber speeds digestion. Ms. Bowerman states that snacks should have a 200-calorie cap. They should also provide 10 grams of protein and up to five grams of fiber. Following are snacks to keep your focus on track:
- 1 large apple, 1 cup skim milk
- 8 strawberries, 1/2 cup cottage cheese
- 1/4 cup pumpkin seeds
- 1 hard-boiled egg, 1 piece of toast, 1 tsp trans-fat-free margarine
- 3 celery sticks, 1 Tbsp peanut butter
- 1 KIND Plus Protein food bar
- 2 Tbsp hummus, 1 cup carrot sticks
- 1 cheese stick, 2 whole-grain crackers, 3 almonds
- 1 banana, 1 Tbsp peanut butter
9. Fill a Water Bottle
Water needs vary daily. They’re governed by several factors, including exercise, perspiration, and exposure to heat and humidity. According to the Institute of Medicine, the estimated daily water requirement for men is 13 cups. Women need approximately nine cups of water daily.
One way to gauge hydration is to note your urine color. When you’re dehydrated, your kidneys retain water. This makes voided fluid darker and more concentrated. If urine is light yellow or colorless, your water intake is on target. If it’s dark yellow or amber, your body needs water. If urine is orange-yellow, you’re severely dehydrated.
To keep your metabolism stoked, make a water bottle your constant companion. Fill a pint-sized bottle at home and refill it four to five times daily. Then make a habit of sipping periodically. Drink one cup with and between meals. Also drink water before, during, and after exercise.
A Final Consideration
Haylie Pomroy advises having a physical exam to assess your baseline health. It should include a thyroid panel, an estrogen test for women, and a testosterone test for men. Based on your test results, your doctor may suggest lifestyle adjustments.
Nine Means to a Lean Physique
Now you have nine means to a fat-burning machine:
1. Awaken 30 minutes earlier.
3. Use a rebounder.
4. Lift weights.
5. Perform Five Tibetan Rites.
6. Have a power breakfast.
7. Drink green tea.
8. Pack a snack.
9. Fill a water bottle.
Congratulations! You’re on your way to a new you!