We have had several requests for this stand by of comfort foods, in a healthier version. I found this one at http://www.fitnessmagazine.com/recipes/quick-recipes/dinner/healthy-mac-n-cheese/ The secret, I am told, is the Greek yogurt, which lends a richness and creaminess without the fat and calories of milk and butter. I am not a big fan so it’s not a recipe I have adapted myself… I hope it works for you!!
Makes: 4 servings
- Nonstick cooking spray
- Salt 4 ounces whole wheat macaroni
- 1/2 cup onion-garlic puree
- 1/2 teaspoon dry mustard
- Pinch cayenne pepper
- 1 cup shredded 50 percent reduced-fat cheddar
- 1/3 cup nonfat Greek yogurt
- 1/4 cup whole wheat panko bread crumbs
- 1/4 cup grated Parmesan
- Preheat the oven to 425 degrees. Spray an 8-by-8-inch baking dish with cooking spray; set it aside.
- Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil, add macaroni and cook according to package directions, drain.
- Meanwhile, bring onion-garlic puree, mustard, and cayenne to a simmer in a small saucepan over medium heat, stirring often. Whisk in cheddar until melted. Remove from heat and whisk in yogurt.
- In a medium bowl, toss the macaroni with the cheese sauce. Season with salt to taste. Pour the mixture into the prepared baking dish and sprinkle panko over the top. Top with Parmesan.
- Bake until Parmesan is melted and macaroni is hot throughout, about 10 minutes.