Sweet Potato Soup (in a Flash!)
I just love sweet potatoes, this soup is so full of delicious and healthy things, I want to start cooking right now!
Change it Up. Pumpkin or Squash Too. Not sweet potatoes? Craving pumpkin or winter squash? I actually have two recipe versions for you. One that includes a slow, oven-baked sweet potato as the base – as shown in my photos. Or you can sub in canned pumpkin OR butternut squash puree in place of the potato.
Sweet Potato Soup + citrus + chipotle
vegan, serves 1-2
1 cup mashed sweet potato (from a baked sweet potato – all sticky and sweet)
1/2 cup+ No-Chicken Broth (or substitute vegetable broth) — add more to thin out to desired consistency
1/2 cup soy milk*, original or plain or unsweetened flavors (I used Soy Dream)
*almond milk will work too
Add to taste (what I used):
* orange or satsuma zest (a pinch)
* salt (3 pinches)
* chipotle powder (1/2 tsp)
1/4 cup diced avocado
2-3 tortilla chips, crushed (I used red, spicy jalapeno chips!)
dash of seasoned chili salt
Optional: nutritional yeast, canned white beans (blended in), cinnamon, black pepper, cayenne, lime juice (lime wedge served on side), parsley or chopped spinach served over top.
lower sodium note: salt is very important for this recipe! It brings out all the flavors of the sweet potato base! If you need to go light on sodium, however, give lime or apple cider vinegar a try to perk things up..
1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
2. Bake your sweet potato until tender.
3. Remove potato skin, add to blender along with the broth and non-dairy milk. Blend on low until smooth. Taste a drop to see that it is slightly bland at this point. Add the salt and spices to taste. I added the zest last and folded it into the poured soup.
4. Serve with garnish or avocado and crushed chips over top.
Nutrition (per recipe):
Calories: 259kcal, Fat: 3g, Carbs: 47g, Protein: 12g
Fiber: 7g, Vita A: 776%, Vita C: 65%, Iron: 13%, Calcium:23%
also rich in potassium, manganese and B vitamins.
Edited By: Ellie Aug 1st 2014