Different people have different types of skin, and the thickness of the skin varies around the body. Some people may develop various skin conditions while others may not. Not all people will develop darkened elbows and knees, but some will.
Here are some reasons why others have them and others don’t:
1. The skin on the elbows and knees may look dark because thick, dead skin has built up in that area.
2. Frequent friction; using that particular area of skin frequently, causes it to thicken and darken.
3. People with dark skin color will have darker elbows and knees; it’s in their genes.
4. Skin care protection is not enough in those areas. People concentrate more on the face, arms, and legs but often neglect the elbows and the knees.
5. Long and frequent exposure to the sun can cause further darkening of the skin.
6. Some medical conditions, diseases, hormonal changes and imbalances may actually cause more pigmentation.
7. Medication can also cause the production of more melanin which results in darker elbows and knees.
If you are one of those unlucky people with dark elbows and knees, don’t despair; it is a natural thing that happens to everyone, and it can be remedied.
The skin on the elbows and knees is usually thicker and has more folds. Plus, there are no oil glands in these areas; which causes this skin to be drier.
The answer to minimizing their unsightly appearance is by being aware of what we do with them every day.
1. Lessen activities using the elbows and the knees, to stop them from thickening.
2. Keep out of the sun as much as possible, or put on sunscreen if you need to go out.
3. When applying sunscreen lotions, apply less sparingly in those areas.
4. When taking health medications, check with your doctor about possible side effects on the skin.
Don’t worry about spending a lot on creams and skin medications to get rid of dark elbows and knees; remedies may already be found in your own homes and gardens.
1. Exfoliate – Use any exfoliating brush, pumice or loofah while taking a bath, to remove the dead cells from the knee and elbow.
2. Natural bleach – The juice of fruits like lemon, grapes, and tomatoes are natural bleaches; they help to get rid of black skin when used regularly.
3. Olive oil and other natural oils – Olive oil softens the rough skin on the knees and elbow giving it softness and smoothness. Rub warm olive oil to the knees and elbows every day for 10 minutes.
4. Aloe Vera gel – Aloe Vera reduces the sun’s damage by moisturizing the skin and preventing dryness which lead to darkening of the skin. Using the gel from fresh Aloe Vera leaves, apply the gel on the elbows and knees and leave for an hour.
5. Apply fresh lemon juice to your knees and elbows. Leave it on overnight, and wash it off in the morning.