Incontinence is an involuntary loss of bladder control, leading to unplanned leaking of urine. It can be embarrassing and awkward, especially with stress incontinence, because it can occur when coughing, sneezing, or making sudden movements. Stress incontinence becomes more common as people get older, especially in women.
Sudden release of urine, from a few drops to your whole bladder, and sudden urge to urinate, are some of the symptoms presented.
Kegel Exercises for prevention.
1. Sit or stand with your knees apart and tighten your pelvic floor muscles. Hold while counting to five, and then relax. Repeat five times.
2. Tighten your muscles again, but this time for only a few seconds before releasing. Repeat this faster muscle action for up to five minutes every day, gradually increasing the amount of time you hold your muscles.
The following natural remedies may be helpful in treating and relieving incontinence:
• Aromatherapy: the essential oil cypress has astringent and relaxing properties. Mix a few drops with base carrier oil, such as sweet almond oil, and gently massage into your lower abdomen.
• Homeopathic remedies: take Causticum 6C to help symptoms of involuntary incontinence as a result of sneezing, coughing, or laughing.
Pulsatilla 6C or Ferrum Phos 6C may help incontinence that occurs when lying down in bed.
• Nutritional medicine: simple dietary amendments may help to reduce the symptoms of incontinence. Cut back on caffeine, because it has diuretic properties, avoid drinking carbonated drinks, and eat less tomato-based foods, because they can irritate the bladder.
• Helpful therapies: biofeedback, a method that encourages people to learn to improve their health by gaining control over bodily functions and may offer some help with incontinence. Find a local practitioner and see if it works for you.
• Herbal Remedies: Ginkgo supplements or tincture can help weak bladder and incontinence.
-Try taking varuna to help improve muscle tone and bladder control.
-Take healing horsetail tincture to help the urinary system
-For men with incontinence linked to prostate problems, take herb saw palmetto.
SOURCE: 1000 home remedies, safe and sensible treatments for everyday aliments, Anova Books, 2011