- Guess how much money average American workers spend on coffee each year? $1092!
- Although we generally say “coffee beans“, but they’re really berries!
- Beethoven who was a coffee lover, was so particular about his coffee that he always counted 60 beans each cup when he prepared his brew.
- It is a well-known fact to coffee drinkers everywhere that Honoré de Balzac, famous nineteenth-century French writer, drank up to 40 cups of coffee per day!!
- Espresso has 1/3 of the caffeine of a regular cup of coffee.
- Coffee is also one of the highest traded commodities, second only to oil!
- Interesting to know, Caffeine is on the International Olympic Committee list of prohibited substances. Athletes who test positive for more than 12 micrograms of caffeine per milliliter of urine may be banned from the Olympic Games. This level may be reached after drinking about 5 cups of coffee.
Also Turkish bridegrooms were once required to make a promise during their wedding ceremonies to always provide their new wives with coffee. If they failed to do so, it was grounds for divorce!
The three biggest coffee drinkers in the world are the Americans, the French and the Germans. They consume some 65% of the total world’s consumption of coffee.