Razor Bumps, Causes and Treatments
Edited By: Stephanie Dawson
When shaved hair becomes trapped inside the follicle or curls and grows back into the skin razor bumps occur. Irritation and development of pimples are caused by razor bumps. In extreme cases, scarring may happen.
To prevent razor bumps:
1. Before shaving takes a shower to soften the hair and open pores, not a long one. Wrinkling occurs when you stay in the water for too long which makes it difficult to get a proper shave.
2. Shaving should always be done in the direction your hairs grow, otherwise, you’re pulling and cutting the hair follicle in an unnatural direction which will make it susceptible to growing into your skin and cause irritation.
3. The right shaving technique should be used to prevent razor bumps. Shave in slow small strokes rinsing the razor under water to clean it between each stroke, it won’t sit flush against the skin if the blade is clogged.
4. Use a product designed to treat it, one that contains salicylic acid, glycolic acid, witch hazel, aloe, or any combination of these ingredients is good. Some products may require you to put the solution on a cotton ball and dab it on your skin while others might come in a roller bottle that’s designed to go directly on your skin.
5. Before shaving let the hairs grow out a bit. It will only irritate or tear it open by shaving over razor bumps, leaving them vulnerable to infection(and probably not removing much hair in the process). See if the hair breaks out of the bumps on its own.
6. Try not to go over the same area twice. Less irritation is caused by shaving with the grain but not as close a shave. If you are going back over an area you have already shaved you should try to use this technique.
7. Coldwater should be used for rinsing. Using a cold washcloth on the area or ending your shower with a blast of cold water will close your pores, leaving them less vulnerable to irritants and infection.
8. One should keep changing their blades of the razors as the unused razors are often breeding grounds for bacteria.
9. You can use a mixture of cooled and pureed cucumber with one cup of milk on razor bumps and rinse it off after 10-20 minutes. This helps prevent razor bumps.